Tyquan Lewis won the Smith-Brown Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2016. Now, read about his 2018 NFL draft prospects.
Position: Defensive End
College: Ohio State #59
40 Time: 4.67
NFL Draft Board Analysis
NFL Draft Board Potential
Tyquan Lewis current rests in the top half of the first round of the 2018 NFL draft. It is hard to see his ceiling rise anymore. He’s already won the Smith-Brown Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year. And, currently he is behind his teammate, Sam Hubbard, on the NFL Draft Board at defensive end. But, there is an entire season for matters to develop.
Comparative Position Ranking on the NFL Draft Board
Tyquan Lewis is toward the top of the NFL Draft Board for defensive ends/outside linebackers. And, unlike 2016 and Myles Garrett, there are is no stand out talent that can’t be reached with a year’s worth of excellent production. Lewis should comfortably go in the first round. The floor on Lewis is pretty high also. It would be hard to imagine a returning Smith-Brown Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year not going in the first round. The 2017 NFL Draft Board has 14 defensive ends/outside linebackers. Regardless of Lewis’ motivation, he will probably sign a better rookie deal in 2018 when he should separate himself from the competition.
- 2015: Honorable Mention All-Big 10.
- 2016: Smith-Brown Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year.
- 2016: First Team All-Big 10.
- Returned to Ohio State for his senior year even though he could have made a run for the being picked in the first round of the 2017 NFL draft.
- Fifth year senior. He should come to the NFL with some maturity.
- Powerful initial punch.
- Power rush techniques.
- Big body occupies space.
- Strong upper body can hold off a blocker.
- Disciplined with gap responsibility.
- Team captain.
Areas of Concern
- Could show more interest in pursuit to the ball.
- Not fleet of foot. Change of direction is a process. Lumbers.
- Needs to work on balance, to hold ground.