Position: Outside Linebacker/Defensive End
Awards: 2016: second team All-American, first team All-Big 10
NFL Draft Analysis:
Highest pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Daniel Jeremiah has TJ Watt going to the Miami Dolphins with pick #22.
Consensus pick on the NFL Draft Board:
2/10 mock NFL drafts have TJ Watt going to the Green Bay Packers with pick #29.
Consensus ranking on the NFL Draft Board by Position:
There is a blue light special in the outside linebacker/defensive end aisle for the 2017 NFL draft. The NCAA is handing out outside linebackers/defensive ends free with purchase. TJ Watt is the 10th outside linebacker/defensive end to show up on the NFL Draft Board behind Carl Lawson.
- Yes, TJ Watt is, in fact, JJ Watt’s little brother
- Missed the 2014 season with a knee injury
- Suffered another knee injury in the spring of 2015, but still played in the fall
- The medical issues will be a concern for NFL teams
- Started his career at Wisconsin as a tight end
- Will get better with and NFL weight room and a steak or two
- Great hands, uses a punch-pull technique, which requires a lot of skill
- Not the quickest feet in the draft, but hand play makes up for it
- Needs a good NFL defensive line coach to add more tools to the pash rushing tool box
- A plus in the run game
- Can drop into coverage
- Plays to the whistle