Sam Hubbard School Page:
Position: Defensive End
College: Ohio State
40 Time: 4.56
- 2015: Freshman All-American
- 2016: Honorable Mention All-Big 10
NFL Draft Board Analysis:
Highest pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Sam Hubbard is a potential top ten pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
Most likely destination from the NFL Draft Board:
Edge rushers are a big draw in 2017. Right now, on the NFL Draft Board there are 13 edge rushers that show up in the 10 NFL mock drafts on the NFL Draft Board. That could mean a couple different scenarios for 2018. One, All 13 edge rushers go in the first round of 2017 (highly unlikely) and the need for edge rushers in 2018 dwindles. Two, some NFL teams pass on a first round edge rusher in 2017, sign a free agent to a one year deal, and address the edge rusher problem in the 2018 NFL draft.
This second scenario would play out best for Hubbard. Here are three rushers that could come up in free agency in 2017. There is a threat that some of these may sign longer deals than just one year. Bottom line, Hubbard is likely a top 10 pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
Comparative position ranking on the NFL Draft Board:
Sam Hubbard sits behind Arden Key as the number two edge rusher on the 2018 NFL Draft Board. But that could change. As talented as Arden Key is, he has taken some time away from football for personal reasons. That always sounds suspect and will cause NFL teams to pause if not outright knock him down in the draft.
- Excellent lacrosse player. Considered playing lacrosse in college.
- Played outside linebacker in high school.
- Went to Ohio State as a safety, but played tight end and linebacker during redshirt freshman year.
- First Team Academic All-American in 2016.
- Plays with good pad level.
- Able to string out plays.
- Great hands, Able to control the blocker in the run game.
- Plays to the whistle.
- An effective bull rush.
- Plays with good arm extension. Doesn’t let the blocker get into his body.
Areas of Concern:
- Can get tied up in a run block. Appears to have a hard time shedding a blocker.
- First step is sometimes a little late.
- Inconsistent at setting the edge.
- Could use a heavier first punch.