College: Texas Tech
- 2014: Honorable Mention All-Big 12
- 2015: Honorable Mention All-Big 12
- 2016: Second Team All-Big 12
NFL Draft Analysis:
Highest pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Pat Mahomes shows up once on the NFL Draft Board. Walter Football has Pat Mahomes going to the Houston Texans with pick #25
Consensus pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Pat Mahomes does not show up as a consensus pick on the NFL Draft Board for any team.
Consensus ranking on the NFL Draft Board by Position:
Pat Mahomes is the beginning of the second wave of quarterbacks. On the NFL Draft Board there is a trio of big name quarterbacks at the top, Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, and Deshone Kizer. Pat Mahomes is the fourth quarterback to show up on the NFL Draft Board.
- NFL size at 6’3” and 230 pounds
- Played in a quarterback friendly Big 12 where defense is sometimes optional
- Texas Tech has had a few big number quarterbacks that never made a big impact in the NFL. Their current coach, Kliff Klingsbury, is one.
- Accurate passer
- Better mechanics would make accuracy even better
- Can throw on the move
- Mobile quarterback that can run
- Strong hands that allow for convincing pump fakes
- LIkes to throw downfield, could be a good thing, could be a bad thing
- NFL.com compare him to Jay Cutler, never a good thing unless we’re talkin’ arm strength
- Going to need a lot of work with a good NFL quarterback coach
- Not a first year starter in the NFL
- A more consistent temperament might have made him a solid first round draft choice