Position: Free Safety
- First Team All-American Athletic Conference
NFL Draft Board Analysis:
Highest pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Obi Melifonwu only appears once on the NFL Draft Board. Lance Zierlein’s mock NFL draft has Melifonwu going to the Seattle Seahawks with pick #26.
Consensus pick on the NFL Draft Board:
There is no consensus on the NFL Draft Board for Obi Melifonwu to be drafted by a particular NFL team.
Consensus ranking on the NFL Draft Board by Position:
Obi Melifonwu is the second free safety to appear on the NFL Draft Board behind Malik Hooker. Malik Hooker is a consensus pick on the NFL Draft Board to be drafted by the LA Chargers in 7/10 NFL mock drafts. If Hooker gets drafted by the LA Chargers, any team after picking after the Chargers that would like to pick up a quality free safety might have to look to Melifonwu. So although Melifonwu only appears twice on the NFL Draft Board there is still a good chance he could go in the first round.
- Tall safety, height can add some versatility to his NFL utility
- Plenty of experience, four year starter
- Former cornerback, can drop down to play a receiver in a nickel or dime package
- Size and speed makes him ideal to cover a tight end or larger receiver
- Good tackler
- Great insurance policy for a team that has a Brandon Marshall in their division