New England Patriots Quarterback Future
While some NFL teams are scrambling for a quarterback, ie. Denver, Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, Denver, Buffalo, New York, the New England Patriots are setting themselves up to get another potential future Hall of Famer in the 2018 NFL draft.
The number one dilemma facing the New England Patriots right now is the aging GOAT, Tom Brady, behind center. Brady starts the 2017 as a 40-year-old. And, while AARP isn’t hounding him yet for his membership, his days as an NFL quarterback are dwindling faster than the end of the toilet paper roll.
The Question on Everybody’s Mind
Are the New England Patriots going to keep Jimmy Garoppolo? As of now, the Patriots intend to keep Garoppolo as insurance for the aging GOAT, Tom Brady. However, most people don’t believe what comes out of the New England Patriots’ front office.
Jimmy Garoppolo Notes:
- Played at Eastern Illinois (same as Tony Romo).
- Led the New England Patriots to a 3-1 start during Tom Brady’s deflategate suspension.
- 3-1 translates to a 12-4 season.
- Drafted in the second round with pick #62.
- Passer rating 106.2.
- For comparison, top passer ratings of all time are Aaron Rodgers 104.1, Russell Wilson 99.6, and Tom Brady 97.2, and fellow Eastern Illinois alum Tony Romo 97.1.
Conclusion, Jimmy Garoppolo works as a replacement for the GOAT, Tom Brady.
Better Option than Jimmy Garoppolo for the New England Patriots
“In the midst of chaos, there is opportunity,” Sun Tzu.
Let that sink in a little. And, then, apply that to the NFL, or sports trades in general. New England enjoys the luxury of a workable quarterback solution under contract at the moment in Jimmy Garoppolo.
Three Possible Options for the New England Patriots
- The first option is to get a long term contract signed with Jimmy Garoppolo and lock him up as Tom Brady’s successor.
- The second option is for the New England Patriots to pedal Jimmy Garoppolo to the highest bidder this summer and take the highest offer..
The Final Option
The final option is to get a long term contract signed with Jimmy Garoppolo. Except in this case wait for the first team that panics. That is when the chaos sets in. Usually after a starting quarterback goes on the injured reserve list, the coach/general manager is in the last year of his contract, and it is the last best chance for a team without a starting quarterback.
That is when the New England Patriots strike. They offer Garoppolo in exchange for the an obscene number of draft picks.
With those draft picks, the New England Patriots trade up to a top five pick in the 2018 NFL draft. There are two gems waiting for the New England Patriots in the 2018 NFL draft. Sam Darnold, or Josh Rosen, take your pick, Either Darnold or Rosen could take the helm of the New England Patriots and win Super Bowls for another decade and a half.
If Chaos Doesn’t Ensue
If nothing else, the New England Patriots would still have Jimmy Garoppolo under contract.