Kevin Toliver: 2018 NFL Draft Prospect
Kevin Toliver came out of high school as a top ten defensive back in the country. Now Kevin Toliver should work to make the top ten of the 2018 NFL draft.
College: LSU #2
40 Time: 4.42
- Started eight games as a true freshman in 2015.
- All-SEC freshman, 2015.
- Has the speed to play the deep ball.
- Plays the deep ball well.
- Could run a sub 4.4 40 at the NFL Combine.
- A sub 4.4 40 at the combine will move him up the draft board.
- Drops his head when tackling occasionally.
- Get’s pushed around some.
- Needs to eat a couple sandwiches and put on a little strength to manhandle some receivers.
- Needs to keep speed while adding strength.
- Had torn rotator cuff his high school senior year. Injured it again against Alabama his sophomore year.
- His shoulder will be a concern for NFL teams. They will all MRI it.
- Hyperextended his knee in the third game of 2016 against Mississippi State. Missed following game against Auburn.
NFL Draft Board Breakdown
Sophomore slump in 2016
Kevin Toliver came out of high school as a top cornerback in the country. And rolled into his true freshman year ready to prove his worth. Toliver played in 12 games his freshman year and started in 8. And, Toliver made the All-SEC Freshman team for Gridiron Now.
Toliver’s sophomore year slumped playing in only seven games. And starting just five.
He hyperextended his knee in the third game against Mississippi State and never recovered. He may have recovered physically. But his season descended after after that.
Toliver sat out the next game against Auburn. The following game the Missouri Tigers picked on the injured Toliver.
He sulked during the week and missed a team meeting. LSU head coach Ed Orgeron suspended him for the first half against Southern Miss.
Two games later, against Alabama, Kevin Toliver reinjured his surgically repaired shoulder. His season ended there.
Danny Etling didn’t play well, Kevin Toliver did, #LSU‘s freshmen LBs will play a lot.
— Billy Embody (@BillyEmbody) April 23, 2017
Future is very bright
Toliver had two deep pass breakups and an interception.
“If there was MVP of the game, it would have to be either Grant Delpit or Kevin Toliver. Delpit had a couple PBUs and Toliver was a lockdown player for the most part.”
If you look at the Bleacher Report top high school defensive backs from 2015, you see a lot of NFL Draft Board talent. Imam Marshall, Tarvarus McFadden, Kevin Toliver, Derwin James, and Minkah Fitzpatrick all look like first round draft choices.
That is a lot of competition at defensive backs. Kevin Toliver shouldn’t make his goat the first round of the 2018 NFL draft. He should make the top 10 in the draft as a goal.
He can do it, but it won’t be easy. He absolutely has the talent. But he can’t show emotional weakness. And he has to prove the shoulder is fixed and will not be a problem in the NFL.
— Ken Bradley (@KenBradleySEC) August 8, 2016