College: Ohio State
- 2015: Honorable Mention All-Big 10
- 2016: Second Team All-Big 10
NFL Draft Board Analysis:
Highest pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Gareon Conley first appears on the NFL Draft Board on Daniel Jeremiah’s mock NFL draft going to the Atlanta Falcons wtih pick #31.
Consensus pick on the NFL Draft Board:
Gareon Conley does not appear as a consensus pick for any NFL team on the NFL Draft Board. Conley only shows up once on the NFL Draft Board on Daniel Jeremiah’s mock NFL draft going to the Atlanta Falcons wtih pick #31. Charles Harris is the consensus pick to go to the Atlanta Falcons, and that is only with 2/10 mock drafts. Right now, the mock drafts for Atlanta are all over the place. It is hard to see a path for Conley to be drafted by the Atlanta Falcons.
Consensus ranking on the NFL Draft Board by Position:
The other factor going against Conley being drafted in the first round of the NFL is that he is the tenth cornerback to show up on the NFL Draft Board behind Jourdan Lewis. In Conley’s favor is that as the number of cornerback grows the order gets squishy. Conley is also 6’2” which is more of an NFL sized cornerback compared to some of the cornerbacks above him on the NFL Draft Board. If his speed at the combine is exceptional and the scouts like his official combine height, he could squeak into the first round going to a team that is confident enough to coach him up to NFL standards. As the saying goes, you can’t coach height.
Update: Daniel Jeremiah dropped Gareon Conley from his NFL Mock Draft 2.0. Conley fell off the NFL Draft Board completely.
- Tall corner that NFL team dream of drafting
- Can play outside or slot
- Can play tall or short receivers
- Good in man and in zone, better in man
- Can get head around to see the ball
- Needs to tighten up his tackling technique
- Uses the boundary to his advantage
- Has trouble following double moves and more complex routes
- Played in a stacked defense. Opposite corner, Marshon Lattimore, is a potential top 10 pick, the Free Safety, Malik Hooker, is another top 10 pick, and linebacker Raekwon McMillan is a first half of the first round pick.