Dawuane Smoot joins the NFL Draft Board, appearing on the Bleacher Report NFL mock draft at pick #21 to the Detroit Lions.
Position: Defensive End
40 Time: 4.72
- 2015: Honorable Mention All-Big 10
- 2016: Third Team All-Big 10
NFL Draft Board Analysis
NFL Draft Board Potential
Dawauane Smoot is a fringe first round draft choice for the 2017 NFL draft. He appears once on the NFL Draft Board. Smoot appears on the Bleacher Report mock NFL draft at pick #21 going to the Detroit Lions.
Comparative Position Ranking on the NFL Draft Board
Dawuane Smoot appeared on the NFL Draft in February for the first time. Right now, Smoot would have to be considered one of the last edge rushers to be considered for the first round.
He is the 14th edge rusher to show up on the NFL draft board. For all 14 edge rushers to get drafted in the the first round, nearly half the teams would have to draft an edge rusher. Remember, only 30 teams are drafting in the first round with Cleveland and Tennessee drafting twice each. Smoot has a small chance at being drafted in the first round. But, he should be off the board before the fourth round begins.
Dawuane Smoot has all the tools to become an All-Pro. Smoot plays to the whistle and runs to the ball. That alone is something an NFL coach can work with. Add to that his size and agility and some NFL coach is going to have some really nice clay to work with.
- USA Track and Field Junior Olympic hurdler.
- Played under former Chicago Bears head coach, Lovie Smith in 2016.
- An athlete. Agility is built in.
- Can string out a run play.
- Works good in space.
- Great lateral movement.
- Plays to the whistle and runs to the ball.
- Solid bull rush.
Areas of Concern
- Still a raw talent.
- Needs to add some variety to his pass rushing attack. Not a dynamic pass rusher.
- Had better film in 2015 when he was a little heavier.