Courtland Sutton is an NFL sized receiver, 6-4, 215. Read if his size and 2017 season can earn him a top ten pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
College: SMU #16
Position: Wide Receiver
40 Time: 4.50
- 2016: Courtland Sutton vs Baylor (), TCU ().
- 2015: Courtland Sutton vs TCU (), Houston (), Baylor ().
- Played tight end and safety in high school.
- Also played basketball in high school.
- And plays basketball at SMU.
- 2015: USA Today All-Freshmen Team. Set freshman SMU record for most reception yards, 862. Tied freshman record of nine touchdown receptions.
- 2016: First Team All-American Athletic Conference.
NFL Draft Board Breakdown
While some call Courtland Sutton the next Julio Jones, his 40 time might suggest more of an A. J. Green. Courtland Sutton ran a 40 in 4.50. Julio Jones ran a 40 in 4.39. However, A. J. Green ran a 40 in 4.5.
In the NFL, size and speed matters. At 6-4, 215 (and growing) Courtland Sutton has the size, but the 2018 NFL combine will show his speed. And, whether NFL teams compare Sutton to Julio Jones, or A. J. Green.
For comparison, A. J. Green, pick #4 2011 NFL draft, went earlier in the draft than Julio Jones, pick #6.
With that said, if Courtland Sutton produces in 2017, it is easy to see an NFL team spending a first round draft choice on Sutton. Perhaps, if he compares favorable to Julio Jones, or A. J. Green, Sutton could go in the top ten picks of the 2018 NFL draft, if not the top five.
Right now, Sutton sits in the lower half of the first round on the NFL Draft Board. His play in 2017 will swing that to a top ten pick, or an early second round pick.
Currently, Sutton appears on the NFL Draft behind three other receivers. He 2017 production will have to outshine some of those ahead of him.