Adonis Alexander is an NFL sized defensive back. Read about his chances of being drafted in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft.
College: Virginia Tech #36
40 Time: 4.92
- Clemson, 2016.
- Incredible body control. Amazing interception.
- Has a pro frame at 6-3 that he needs to fill out. Also, it is unlikely that his 40 time is still 4.92.
- Played safety in high school.
- Played safety as a freshman at Virginia Tech.
- Plenty of explosion in his legs. If he posts another 41 inch vertical, that will impress NFL scouts at the 2018 NFL Combine.
- Second team Freshman All-American, as a safety, 2015.
- Arrested on marijuana possession in April 2016. Suspended for 2016 season opener.
- Virginia Tech may consider moving Adonis Alexander back to safety in 2017.
NFL Draft Board Breakdown
Adonis Alexander has the frame NFL scouts dream of when they consider defensive backs. Half of the Seattle Seahawks All-Pro secondary is 6-3.
From the Kevin King page.
Daniel Jeremiah has Kevin King going to the Seattle Seahawks in the first round (of the 2017 NFL draft) with pick number 26. The Seattle Seahawks gravitate to bigger defensive backs, Richard Sherman 6-3 and Kam Chancellor 6-3.
If an NFL team drafted Adonis Alexander as a cornerback, it would surprise some people. Alexander has the frame to play safety, and would make a great cornerback. But, cornerback requires a certain speed to keep up with the 4.22, 40, John Ross’s of the NFL.
There are two things you can’t teach, height and speed. Although speed can be adjusted by focusing on fast twitch muscle fibers, there is no changing a person’s height. That works in favor of Adonis Alexander.
Adonis Alexander’s Draft Prospectus
Adonis Alexander has a full year of football in front of him. It would probably be best if Virginia Tech moved him to safety and he puts up All-American numbers. If he does that, his chances of getting drafted in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft increase dramatically. But, there is always a challenge. Taking a look at the 2017 NFL Draft Board, NFL teams favor cornerback over the safety position.
For now though, WalterFootball.com has Adonis Alexander in the first round of his 2018 NFL mock draft. And that should motivate any college player.